We are going to attempt to “read” a very crazy novel over the next few weeks. As we have been learning this semester, the terms we once assumed stable– “book,” “reading,” “author,” “literature, “literacy”– are historically-dependent and variable. This novel exploits and aestheticizes this fact. So, here are a few things to keep in mind as you approach the book and novel:
- Stay calm. Reading this novel is not about understanding every word or every chapter or even anything that is going on!
- PLOT and STRUCTURE: There is an “Outline” of the novel in our book, which can help you keep track of where you are in the novel and what is going on.
- HUMOR: This is a funny novel. Its humor is often of its time, but it is supposed to make you laugh. Don’t take it– or yourself– too seriously.
- SEX: Yes, it’s a dirty book
- I will be posting more resources for reading and understanding our novel…..